Saturday, February 21, 2009

More Stories!

So, faced with a choice between leaving my nice cozy apartment to do useful things (buy contact solution, return books to library, get photos off camera and on CD) and staying here to blog, the evil with less motion involved wins. Although I'm promising myself I'll leave after this, because the books are due today and French libraries still believe in fines. With that, two stories:

In my "Body Stretch" class (light strength training, lots of crunches) there was more melodic hilarity: "I Like To Move It Move It" came on, of Madagascar fame. Then when I had just recovered from the visions of lemurs dancing around, "Barbie Girl" started playing. I was instantly transported to the TA gym, dancing self-consciously away in a ring of 8th-grade girls. Seriously, I couldn't make this stuff up. Anyway, after class I asked the instructor where she gets the music, and she offered to make CDs for me if I bring her blank ones, which is really nice of her. It also means that anybody near me will be subjected to dance remixes of terrible, terrible pop songs, so be glad most of you are at least a continent away.

On Thursday, I decided to play "Two Truths and a Lie" in one of my classes to practice the present perfect (I have been..., I have never done...). Everyone thinks of two things that are true about themselves and one thing that is a lie, and everyone else has to guess which is the lie. It's a fun game, and it worked really well - the kids liked being told they could lie. Mine were the following:

1. I have swum naked in public in broad daylight.
2. I have never smoked a cigarette.
3. I have never visited the Gros Horloge (the second-most-famous landmark in Rouen, right after the cathedral)

Most of the kids thought that the first one was a lie, two thought the second was, and three thought the third was. Do you know which one it is? Post guesses in the comments (but don't give it away by saying why you know) and we'll see how you stack up against the tiny Europeans! (I expect most of you to get it right - it's only hard for people who don't know me.)

2 comments:

  1. I know! I know! But I don't want to post it and let other people cheat :p. Also, I think it would be fantastic if you had awesome techno remixes of pop songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I know too (I'm not gonna be nice/wuss out like Amelia and not post it though -- it's 3, right?), and I would like to say that playing never have I ever to practice the present perfect is something I thought of first. So there.

    ReplyDelete