Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fête Internationale !

So, I just got back from an international party at the Italian, Spanish, German, Chinese, and Columbian girls' apartment (où je me suis un tout petit peu bourrée la gueule, mais bon c'est une histoire pour un autre jour, ou pour jamais) where there were two Italians, two Spaniards, two Germans, two Chinese girls, one Belgian, one English guy, five Mexicans, and me. And as I was walking home, I realized that I can't remember the last time I spoke to a truly monolingual person. Sure, there are people here whose second language isn't very good, but even those are few and far between. And people who speak three languages nearly fluently are actually quite common. It's just such a change from the US, where speaking even a few words of another language is so rare.

And I sense that this could go on, but really my half-drunk musings are only interesting to me, so I'm cutting myself off. Only three more weeks of teaching, and only 7 more weeks in France! They'll have to drag me away kicking and screaming - I don't want to leave. Especially now that I've started to make French friends.

2 comments:

  1. "[T]wo Italians, two Spaniards, two Germans, two Chinese girls, one Dutch guy, one English guy, [and] five Mexicans"

    walk into a bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, don't be so modest - I find your half-drunk musings entertaining too...

    I'm sorry you will have to leave one day soon, but it makes it all the sweeter going back, trust me.

    ReplyDelete